I had a version of this soup at this modern Mexican restaurant the other night and have been wanting to try my own rendition of it since. It also gave me a reason to make one of my favorite sides that I thought would go nicely along with it, cornbread! I absolutely love cornbread and wanted to do a healthier version then my usual recipe, this time using whole grain spelt flour and a touch of Robin Hood nutri blend flour (a mix of white flour and ground wheat bran). I also used less white sugar and some agave syrup as well. (Honey or maple syrup would work well too). The base for this soup is so simple yet so tasty but I think the real highlight is all the garnishes, fresh farmers market tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, crispy oven baked tortilla strips, shredded chicken and a squeeze of lime. This is one soup I can eat in the summertime!
Spicy Tortilla Soup
8 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 28 oz can San marzano tomatoes
1 white onion, fine diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, fine diced
1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp cumin
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp sugar
4 skinless chicken thighs (or 2 cups cooked roasted chicken, shredded)
2 avocados, cut in half
2 limes, cut in wedges
1 bunch cilantro
2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
2 soft tortilla shells
oil,cumin, chipotle chili powder, salt
1. If using raw chicken thighs: In a stock pot bring chicken stock to a simmer and place chicken thighs in it. Poach until done. Remove chicken thighs, let cool and shred. Remove excess fat from chicken stock.
2. In another pot add a little oil and saute onion and garlic just until soft. Add 1/2 the can of tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar and spices in. Using a hand blender puree until smooth. Add the rest of the tomatoes in and the shredded chicken
3. While soup is simmering pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut tortillas into strips, toss with oil and spices and spread out on a baking sheet. Bake in oven until crispy approx 5-10 min
4. To serve place half an avocado in the bottom of the bowl, ladle soup on top, place tortilla strips into the avocado, and cherry tomatoes and cilantro in the middle, serve with lime wedges.
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup Robin Hood nutri blend flour (or use 1/4 white flour and 1/4 whole
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixer blend egg, oil, sugar, agave nectar, vanilla and buttermilk together. In a separate bowl combine flours, salt and baking powder.
2. Slowly add dry mixture into the wet mixture. Add in cornmeal
3. Place in a greased 9" square pan and bake for 35 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
Jalapeno Honey Butter
1 cup softened salted butter
1 jalapeno, fine diced, reserve a sprinkle for the top
2 tbsp honey
1. Combine all ingredients together. Sprinkle extra jalapeno on top and a drizzle of honey