Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Insalata Caprese: Tomato Basil Bocconcini Salad with 15 Year Old Balsamic Vinegar

I think I might have said watermelon feta salad was my favorite summer salad, but I was mistaken...THIS is my favorite summer salad! So simple and such clean flavours. It also doesn't hurt that there is the most amazing tomato stand at the farmers market right now. There are so many varieties, you know it's good when the lineup to fill a paper bag full of these little gems goes all the way down the whole market! These tomatoes are so good that I even pulled out my 15 year old balsamic vinegar that I brought back from Italy. Since it's aged so long, its thick and sweet and compliments the tomatoes nicely. I know it's not traditional to use balsamic vinegar in a caprese but I love the tang and sweetness it adds. Another good salad to bring to the beach!
Insalata Caprese
Tomatoes of your choice
Bocconcini
Fresh Basil (chiffonade)
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Fleur de sel



1.Depending on the amount you make, drizzle just enough to coat everything. Toss and serve.

No comments: