Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother’s Day Brunch: Tropical Coconut Pineapple Banana Pancakes & Open Faced Smoked Salmon Sandwiches

Ahh brunch, who doesn’t love a good brunch!? The only problem I have with brunch is what to order! I’m always torn between choosing something sweet or savoury. I had a chance to fly home for mother’s day and have had Cumin & Coriander's coconut pancakes on my mind for sometime, so I decided to make a similar version for brunch. Topped with toasted coconut, crushed pineapple, fresh mango, macadamia nuts and warm maple syrup, I think this could have even been a dessert! (Hey for real, when I was in Spain we ate at a restaurant that did a take on Americanized food and they had pancakes on their dessert menu! Oh and don't even ask why we were eating at a restaurant like this...I know it was so wrong!). Seeing as I was in charge of the menu planning and cooking, there was no need to choose between sweet or savoury! Toasted spelt bread was the base for the open faced sandwich topped with a low fat cream cheese, smoked salmon, cucumbers, red onion and the first of the chives growing from our garden. Oh and ever wonder what to do with those leftover pancakes? Just freeze them and pop them in your toaster on those mornings you’re to lazy to make anything else, I swear I think they taste even better the second time around.

Tropical Coconut Pineapple Banana Pancakes
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 milk
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp coconut extract
1 banana, pureed
1/4 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1/4 cup shredded coconut, sweetened
Pancake Garnishes
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup fresh mango, diced
1 cup banana, sliced
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
warm maple syrup
butter

Open Faced Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
Spelt bread (or any other kind you like), toasted
Low fat cream cheese
Smoked salmon
Cucumber, sliced
Chives
Red Onion, thinly sliced
Capers (optional)

No comments: