Saturday, August 30, 2008

Coconut Peach Clafoutis

I've been meaning to post this for awhile now! I've been a bit busy since I flew home, cooking up a storm in my kitchen that I miss so much, but I will get to that later! Along with last weeks Ratatouille I figured we needed to have a French dessert and have been wanting to make clafoutis for some time now. Still in love with my mini tart pans instead of making it in one big dish I decided to make individual clafoutis! I tweaked the recipe and replaced cream with coconut milk and to enhance the flavor I also added toasted coconut. A clafouti really just reminds me of a more refined smooth bread pudding (oh yeaa another one of my favorite comfort foods!). Super easy to make, if you can make pancake batter you can definitely make this! I was kicking myself as I finished pouring the last of the batter into a tart mold because I had meant to also make a cherry clafouti (the most traditional) and had even bought cherries at the farmers market! Oh well next time, plus I think almond would pair better with cherries than coconut. (A splash of amaretto perhaps? Oh yes I can see it now). You can see in the pic below a couple were made with blackberries since that was one of my friends fave fruit. Good way to utilize my blackberries since I didn't trample through the UBC farm's blackberry bushes at 9 on a sunday morn for nothin! (Took a bit longer than I thought only due to the fact that this is how picking went: One for me, one for the bucket...I felt a bit ill after...) These were topped with coconut ice cream but any cream topping will work! Whipped cream, creme fraiche, Greek yogurt, ice cream, its alll goood.
Above: Batter being poured into the tart pans
Below: Cooling just a tad before serving
Coconut Peach Clafoutis
Butter and sugar (to coat pan if using a baking dish)
Peaches, sliced (or any fruit you like)
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or coconut extract)
1 cup coconut milk (or cream or milk)
3 eggs
1 tbsp melted butter
toasted shredded coconut

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place flour and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add in coconut milk and vanilla and eggs. Whisk until smooth but do not over mix.
3.In a baking dish or individual tart molds place peaches and toasted coconut. Pour batter over top.
3. Bake for 35-40 min or until puffed and golden

4 comments:

Lois said...

Mmmm another yummy dessert to try :-) I'm trying to cook more often before Rich comes home, so how about you publish a SUPER EASY, SUPER YUMMY recipe for me to try? I have to start somewhere hehe.

xoxo
Lo

Laura said...

Haha ok Lo! I can think of something, but I swear this recipe is super easy, even without the tart pans, this can be thrown together in a baking dish!

Natalie Que said...

Oh Yum! This looks good too!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I like it!