Friday, August 1, 2008

Applewood Smoked Cheddar & Dill Buttermilk Biscuits

I love biscuits. I would even go as far and say these might just be one of my top comfort foods. Nothing better then a warm biscuit pulled straight out of the oven with the buttery and flaky layers and the steam coming out when pulled apart, oh yumm. I usually make a good ol aged cheddar biscuit but this time I thought I would do something different. Still using cheddar, but instead Applewood smoked cheddar and some fresh chopped baby dill this new and improved version may just be my favorite yet! Served sandwiched between some barely cooked scrambled eggs or along side a roasted tomato bisque on a rainy day, that's total comfort to me.

Applewood Smoked Cheddar & Dill Buttermilk Biscuits
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cubed
1 cup Applewood smoked cheddar
1/4 cup fresh baby dill
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten

1. In a large bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using a pastry blender or your hands cut the butter into the mixture until the butter is the size of peas.
2. Add cheddar and dill. Add buttermilk all at once and incorporate just until most of it comes together. (Should still have some crumbs)
3. On a lightly floured service place dough and crumbs and knead gently 2-3 times just until it comes together into a soft dough.
4. Gently roll out until 3/4 inch thick and cut out with cookie cutter.
5. Can use the remaining dough to make more biscuits.
6. Brush tops of biscuits with egg and bake for 12-15 min or until golden.

1 comment:

Victor said...

I love that cheddar!!