Friday, August 8, 2008

Pizza on the BBQ: Smoky BBQ Chicken & Pineapple and Three Cheese Veggie w/ Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce

Darnit! Here I go again! Why is blogging so much more fun than studying? Okay I know why, because I could talk about food 24/7. No joke, ask any one of my family or friends! People have dreams to fly, be invisible or go back in time, my dream would be to be able to eat everything and anything I possibly ever wanted and never gain a pound! Seriously.
Pizza on the barbecue!! Probably one of my most favorite things to make and eat ever, I feel like I say that about everything but I really mean it about this! So easy to make, once the dough is made and your sauce and toppings are prepped, you slap the dough on the grill and you'll be eating in less than 10 minutes. Quicker than delivery and so much tastier too. Toppings and sauce are key but I think its all about a good crust, none of that doughy bready crust, I like a nice chewy but crispy more thin crust. This version has all of that and also a touch of smokiness that comes from the bbq. I should mention this is the point when mid typing, I had to go to the kitchen and grab another slice of pizza from the fridge, just typing about it made me want some more! What's a girl to do with all this pizza? Well the reason I made extra was so I can eat this for the rest of the week and not have to worry about cooking when I should be studying ( oh wow that sounded like a poor excuse even as I wrote that! That has never stopped me from cooking before!). Actually I'm not so big on leftovers but this? I could eat every single day, it tastes great cold and freezes even better. Go heat up your grill now...I swear you won't want any other pizza after you taste this.


After the crust has been cooked on one side, flip it over, add sauce and toppings and close the lid to let the bottom cook and the cheese melt.



Pizza Dough (makes 2 large pizzas)
2 tsp yeast
1 cup plus 2 tablespoon warm water
3 cups bread flour or all purpose flour (I used 1/2 spelt, 1/2 white flour)
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tsp to grease the bowl you proof it in

1. Combine yeast, warm water and sugar, let sit 5-10 min till the yeast puffs up
2. Place yeast mixture in mixer, add olive oil and mix. (Start with paddle attachment), or if by hand, start with a spoon and then use
your hands to incorporate the rest.
3. Slowly add ½ the flour, add salt and add in the rest of the flour. Change to dough hook
4. Mix for 1 minute until dough comes together, might have to add a bit more flour, should be soft but not to sticky. Knead by hand for 20 seconds
5. Place in a bowl coated with the remaining oil, make sure to coat dough in oil as well, place saran wrap overtop and let proof (rise) for about 1 hr to 1½ hrs.


BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
Pizza Dough recipe
Cornmeal
Olive oil
Sweet smoky bbq saucePineapple
Sliced Chicken, cooked (toss in BBQ sauce as well)
Thin Sliced Red Onion (optional)
Cilantro (optional garnish)
Aged Cheddar, gruyere (or any cheese you want)
Zucchini (optional)

1.Preheat bbq on high
2.Roll out dough until thin, can be odd shaped, coat both sides of dough with olive oil and cornmeal. Place on baking sheet
3.Place dough on grill and cover lid for 1-1 1/2 min, bottom side should have grill marks but not be completely burnt, flip dough over and cook the other side with bbq lid down. Dough is done when you can knock on it and it sounds hollow
4. If you're quick, add sauce and toppings and close the grill while the other side cooks OR take off the grill, place on foil lined cookie sheet, assemble pizza, place back on grill or hot oven until cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro


3 Cheese Veggie w/ Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
Aged Cheddar
Gruyere
Feta
Zucchini
Mushrooms
Pineapple

Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce
1 14.5oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
olive oil
3 cloves garlic
fresh basil, chiffonade
1. Saute garlic in olive oil, add tomatoes, let reduce down for 5 m in
2.Add in fresh basil
3.Proceed with same process as other pizza

1 comment:

Lois said...

This looks incredible! I am seriously considering flying you down to San Diego just so you can make this for me :-) I miss you girlie