Sunday, August 3, 2008

Blueberry Crumble Squares

I wasn't supposed to make these...I should have been studying for my nutrition final, but in my defense I was on my study break when I came across a recipe for blueberry crumb squares! It really only took 15 minutes from start to finish, including clean up so I'd say that's a pretty good break. If I find a recipe I want to try and I know I have all the ingredients, guaranteed you will find me in the kitchen 2 minutes later pulling everything I need out of the fridge and cupboard, hence the 5 minute buttermilk chocolate cake recipe! Once again I switched it up, instead of white flour I used whole wheat and spelt flour, instead of white sugar I used unrefined sugar and for texture and health benefits some ground flax seeds. Yes, it does still contain butter but we all know butter makes things taste better! So my thinking is change what you can when you can but never try and change something to the point that it won't taste good! I use alternative flours in specific recipes not only because they are better for you but also because I love the nutty flavour they can add to baking. Also knowing when to incorporate these alternative flours helps too. I would never try and make croissants using spelt flour because you need the white flour for the light delicate texture of croissant dough, where as with these bars I know it is a more dense heavy bar so it will work well. Sometimes it's all about trial and error! After having a bite (see picture below, I couldn't resist) I could have sworn it tasted like ground almonds in the square but really it was the whole wheat/spelt flour and flax that made it taste so good. I used blueberries since they are in season but most other fruits will work too!

Blueberry Crumble Squares (makes 16)
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole grain spelt flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter (cold)
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
2 tsp cornstarch

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8x8 pan
2. In bowl add the 1/2 cup of sugar, both flours, baking powder and salt.
3. Cut butter into dry mixture until it is the size of peas. Add egg and stir till combined, mixture should be crumbly.
4. Pat half the mixture into prepared pan
5. In another bowl combine the 1/4 sugar with blueberries and cornstarch. Sprinkle in pan and crumble remaining dough over the berries.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden.
7. Let cool before cutting, can be stored in fridge.

No comments: