Thursday, September 4, 2008

Coconut Macadamia Nut Crusted Salmon with Fruit Salsa and Banana Creme Fraiche

I've had this idea churning for awhile now and finally had a chance to try it out! So very summer and tropical, I think I'm trying to hold on to the last days of summer that seem to be slipping away! It first started out as a panko coconut crust which led me to add macadamia nuts into the mix. Thinking of something to make the crust stick to the salmon I came up with a wet rub of yellow curry paste, dijon and agave syrup. I also wanted a cool contrast to the salmon so I threw together a minted cilantro fruit salsa and if that wasn't enough, a banana "creme fraiche" which was really Greek yogurt with mashed banana. I swear I think this banana creme fraiche is a revelation..I just want to put it on everything (pancakes, peanut butter & honey quesadillas and South African curry come to mind) or just eat it by the spoonful! It sounds like alot of flavours for one dish but they really do work well together! As seen below is the complete meal which I served with a salad and of course bread, as a meal in my fam is not complete without it!

Coconut Macadamia Nut Crusted Salmon
1 fresh salmon fillet, pinbones removed, skin removed
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
3/4 cup shredded coconut (can use sweetened or unsweetened)
1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
2 tbsp melted butter (optional)
1/4 cup yellow curry paste
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp agave syrup
s+p

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay salmon on baking sheet. Combine panko, coconut, melted butter and macadamia nuts in a bowl. In a separate bowl combine curry paste, dijon and agave. Spread over top of fish and season with salt and pepper. Evenly coat fish with coconut breadcrumb mixture and roast for 15-20 min (for medium doneness)

Fruit Salsa
You can really use whatever is fresh and available to you, this is what I had available:
1/2 cup cantaloupe, diced
1/2 cup mango, diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 lime, juiced
fresh cilantro, chopped
fresh mint, chopped
s+p
1. Combine all ingredients and chill in fridge.

Banana Creme Fraiche
1 ripe banana, mashed
2 cups Greek yogurt (or plain yogurt that has been strained)
1 tsp agave syrup
1 tsp lime juice
1. Combine all ingredients and chill in fridge.

1 comment:

Natalie Que said...

I love your blog! You have so many great ideas on here.

I love the coconut in this recipe, I'm sure it is that 'secret' ingredient that takes the dish beyond being just a breaded salmon! And the sauce salsas sound amazing!