Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wrap and Roll: Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Why do things always taste so good wrapped up? Puff pastry, filo, pita, tortilla, flat breads and the guilt free of them all, crisp iceberg lettuce! When you've had a long day the last thing most people want to do is be in the kitchen but that's exactly what I love, I miss using my knives, I don't get to cook as much as I used to so anytime I can pick up my knife and start chopping is relaxing to me. This dish requires a bit more mise en place(meaning everything in it's place/getting your ingredients set up) but that's what I love about it! It's so satisfying having everything all ready so you can just throw it in a pan. I'll list the veggies I used but you can really use anything you like or whatever is in your fridge. The picture below is not only the mise en place for the wraps but also a soup I was making for the week to have on hand, another rendition of the roasted red pepper soup I made previously, this time using San Marzano tomatoes and a splash of vinegar.
Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps
2 chicken breast, diced into bite size cubes
1 red bell pepper, julienne
2 baby bok choy, sliced
1 carrot, thin strips (use a peeler)
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 cups, button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 zucchini, sliced on bias
2 bunches green onion, sliced on bias
1 bunch cilantro (stems removed)
3 cloves garlic, fine diced
1 tbsp ginger, grated
1 cup hoisin sauce thinned with 1/4 cup hot water
1 tsp chili flakes
peanuts (optional)
3 cups cooked vermicelli noodles (chilled)
1 head iceberg lettuce, chilled

1. In a bit of oil saute chicken until cooked, remove and toss in celery, red
bell pepper, carrot, celery and mushrooms, saute until slightly softened then add garlic and ginger.
2. Add zucchini, bok choy, green onions and chili flakes, saute until soft.
3. Fold in hoisin sauce into veggies and toss in cilantro.
4. Top with peanuts and serve with chilled vermicelli noodles and iceberg lettuce.


No comments: