Saturday, April 5, 2008

Cravin a feel good meal: Crunchy Walnut Lentil Burgers & Roasted Red Bell Pepper Tomato Soup


After going to the gym today I was craving something healthy and satisfying and it came to me, lentil burgers! I know I know, it doesn't sound that exciting but I have been wanting to do my own spin on a good ol veggie burger for awhile now. Now by no means am I vegetarian! I love my meat but sometimes this can be just as satisfying! I've also been wanting to make more homemade soups, I don't have that hand blender for nothing and on those rainy Vancouver days sometimes that's all you want! So I headed down to my local produce store, known by everyone in the area as the cheapest produce in town. It's tiny and always packed and you literally have to shove your way through and have your wallet ready to pay because those cashiers are so damn quick! No giving exact change here, they seem to get a little peeved if you try and scrummage in your change purse...so anyways here it is! Lentil burgers my way: with a healthier take on basil aioli using thick Greek yogurt, garlic and fresh basil, and a roasted red bell pepper and tomato basil soup.
Crunchy Walnut Lentil Burgers with Basil Aioli
4 whole grain buns
1 handful mixed field greens
2 cups cooked lentils
1 1/2 cups uncooked yam, grated
1 cup zucchini, grated
1/2 small onion, fine dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted, chopped
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp cumin
s+p
1.Saute onion, garlic and grated yam just until slightly soft.
2.In a food processor blend 1 1/2 cups of the lentils.
3. In a bowl mix together everything. Shape into patties and pan fry until crispy on both sides.
Basil Aioli
1 cup thick Greek yogurt (or plain yogurt, strained)
1 handful fresh basil
1/2 clove garlic
s+p
pinch of sugar
1. Place everything in a food processor and mix until yogurt turns green.
Roasted Red Bell Pepper and Tomato Basil Soup
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5 red bell peppers
4 small tomatoes
1 small onion, small diced
1 carrot, small diced
1 celery stalk, small diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 handful fresh basil
1 tsp chili pepper flakes
s+p
2 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, place bell peppers on a parchment lined baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until the outer skin looks charred. When done, place in a bowl, covering it with saran wrap for 5 minutes. Remove skin and seeds, chop into chunks
2. To remove tomato skin make an x with the tip of your knife on the bottom of the tomato and place into boiling water for 10 seconds, take out and place in ice water, remove skin and seeds, chop into chunks
3. In a big pot saute onion, carrot, celery and garlic till soft. Add bell peppers and tomato, add stock, fresh basil and chili pepper flakes. Using a blender or hand mixer puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar. (Sugar will off balance the bitterness bell peppers can have).

3 comments:

Toxiferous said...

I really have to try that recipe for Crunchy Walnut Lentil Burgers. They sound so good!

Lois said...

Laura... as always you amaze me! This blog is GREAT and I'm absolutely going to be trying out some of these recipes, so keep them coming. xoxo

Laura said...

Aww thanks guys!