Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Salade Nicoise

I love a good salad and one of my favorites would have to be Nicoise Salad. A couple years ago on a trip to Paris I tried to eat as many traditional French dishes that I could, Nicoise Salad being one of them! Sitting in a little bistro doors wide open, sun shining, over looking the street, it was hands down one of the best salads I’ve ever had! Why is it some of the most memorable meals have to do with good family, good friends and a good setting? The one I had in Paris had an anchovy mayo based dressing so I tried to lighten up my rendition with a garlic Dijon vinaigrette instead. I only realized after I started eating that I forgot the anchovies (along with tomatoes)! I know some people think yuck anchovies! But it really does add a nice salty depth of flavor and for all you haters, why do you think your ceasar salad dressing tastes so good! I also used Italian olive oil packed yellow fin tuna, it’s sooo good and so different from the water packed stuff. My favorite brand is called Rio Mare and you can usually find it at your local Italian grocer.

Nicoise Salad
yields 4 portions
1 package mixed field greens
1 package green beans
2 cans tuna
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
3 tomatoes, quartered
6 anchovies (optional)

Garlic Dijon Vinaigrette
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
2 tbsp honey or 1 tbsp agave syrup
s+p


1. Mix all ingredients for vinaigrette together and chill in fridge.
2.In a boiling pot of water, drop green beans in and cook until tender. Drain and shock in cold water to stop them from cooking. Toss beans in 1tbsp of vinaigrette.
3. Place mixed greens on a platter and assemble tuna, egg, olives, tomatoes, green beans and anchovies on top. Pour dressing over top and serve immediately.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hey Laura! Great Blog!! I just made the granola bars on the weekend and they were sooo yummy and healthy - I threw them in my backpack and went snow shoeing and they didn't fall apart!
Thanks for sharing your recipes - I hope you are doing well in Vancouver.
health and happiness,
your brother's friend (and yours), Cindy

Laura said...

Thanks so much Cindy! I love hearing when people try out these recipes!