Do you know what this is? I didn't! I saw them at my local farmers market and found out they are garlic scapes! I love finding something new I've never seen before and making a dish out of it. Tonight's dinner was a pasta primavera, with most of the ingredients found at the farmers market. Fresh made spelt pasta, amazing tomatoes, local zucchini and the garlic scapes. I tasted the garlic scapes raw and it had a very strong garlic flavor, but after sauteing them the flavor mellowed out and I found they were like a crunchy green bean with a hint of garlic, delish! A challenge for you this week is to try something new that you've never tried before. Who knows, you might just like it!
1 bottle pureed tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
1/4 onion, fine diced
fresh basil, chiffonade
pinch of sugar
1 /2 zucchini
2 cups sliced button mushrooms
1 handful cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch garlic scapes, chopped (optional)
1. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil till soft. Add in tomato puree, sugar to taste, s+p and fresh basil. Let simmer
2. In a pan saute zucchini, garlic scapes and mushrooms. Add in cherry tomatoes at the last minute just to warm through.
3. Boil pasta till al dente, strain out water and place back on stove.
4. Add a couple ladles of tomato sauce, just until pasta is coated, add in veggies.
5. Grate fresh parm over top.