Oh man...I am addicted to these!! I usually try and stay away from muffins, since they're never as healthy as you think they are. Really its just a cupcake with fixins without the icing, so I mine as well go all the way and eat a really good cupcake! But these just might be the exception. A take on a healthier muffin, it's still loaded with all the flavor, fluffiness and cakey goodness a muffin should have. I had to freeze half the batch to keep from devouring all of them, but their good to have on the mornings when you are running out the door, just take one out of the freezer the night before, grab a piece of fruit and you're good to go.
Apple Pecan Streusal Muffins
3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp firmly packed unrefined sugar
1/4 chopped pecans (toasted)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup spelt flour (or whole grain flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 gala apple, cored, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners
2. Mix together 2 tbsp of brown sugar with the pecans and cinnamon
3. In another bowl mix together the two flours, baking soda and salt
4. In a mixer combine remaining 3/4 cup of brown sugar and oil. Add eggs
5. Add in applesauce and vanilla. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk until just combined
6. Scoop batter into muffin tins using an ice cream scoop and top with pecan brown sugar mixture.
7. Bake for approx 20 min or until toothpick comes out clean.
Note: I made my own applesauce, just peel, core and dice 3 apples, toss in a small pot with a splash of vanilla and let the apples soften and release their juice. When they are soft use a potato masher to mash them into a puree. (Chunks are fine too).