Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cold Soba Noodles with Miso Peanut Dressing


I'm always looking for alternatives to white pasta and had been wanting to make a pasta salad that I can throw in my bag and take for lunch. Soba noodles aka buckwheat noodles were this weeks choice! Going along with the Asian theme I threw together a miso peanut dressing. I apologize in advance because sometimes when I'm trying new recipes I start tossing things in and forget to write down my exact measurements! All I can suggest is taste as you go! Not salty enough? Add in a little more miso paste or soy sauce, not sweet enough? Add in some honey, agave syrup or sugar. Only problem I have is I always make too much pasta, I may be eating this one for a week...

Cold Soba Noodle Salad
1 small pkg soba noodles (I know helpful right? I'd tell you the exact amount, if only I could read the Japanese writing on the package..)
1/2 red bell pepper, julienne
1 carrot, julienne
1 bunch green onions, cut on a diagonal
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
shredded chicken (optional)

Miso Peanut Dressing
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
3 tbsp miso paste
2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp chili flakes
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tbsp honey or 1 tbsp agave syrup
enough hot water until you get the consistency of a dressing

1. Boil pasta until al dente, drain and rinse under cold water, using paper towel dry off noodles so the dressing will stick to them.
2. Toss everything together and chill in the fridge. Reserve extra dressing on the side as the noodles tend to absorb alot of it.

No comments: