Hello blog world! I still get friends and family who ask, why haven't you posted anything new!? I'm shocked every time and say you still check out my page!? It's funny because I continue to take pictures of everything I eat, cook and bake and I think it's just become a habit to pull out my camera and take pictures every time food is put in front of me. Take these muffins for instance, photo taken this summer and I am just telling you about them now! I loove love carrot cake and I'm sure it's partly due to the cream cheese icing that comes slathered on top. These muffins have all the essential ingredients of a good carrot cake but of course I've made it healthier without sacrificing texture and flavor that a good muffin should have!
Carrot Cake Muffins
1 large carrot, grated
1 apple, grated
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (toasted)
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar (or white sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil (or canola oil)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup softened low fat cream cheese
1 tbsp agave syrup (or honey)
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tin and line tin with paper liners.
2. Combine all dry ingredients (including sugar) in a big bowl.
3. Combine oil and eggs and vanilla. Add to dry mix.
4. Fold in carrot, apple, pineapple, coconut, walnuts and pecans into batter.
5. Spoon batter 1/2 way up muffin cups, place 1 tbsp sweetened cream cheese into each. Fill
the muffin cups with the rest of the batter.
6. Bake for 20-25 min or until the top of the muffin springs back up or toothpick comes out