Sunday, April 26, 2009

Some Good ol Home Cookin

Last week I went home for a visit and before I left, was on the phone with my mom who told me that if I had any requests for any cooking of hers that I miss, to let her know. Some of my favorites include her French Onion Soup (she roasts the bones and makes the best beef stock ever) to her melt in your mouth Braised Bbq Beef on a Bun (with her own killer bbq sauce) to her Egg Rolls, Cha Siu Bao (steamed BBQ Pork Buns) and addicting Chiffon Cake and Bran Muffins. For some reason the one thing that came to mind right away was her Gai Gok Fan. Her Gai Gok Fan is basically sticky rice with chicken, Chinese mushrooms, lup cheong (Chinese sausage) and oyster sauce. I told her this and she said "Gai Gok Fan! That's what you waant!? Okaayy..." It is a bit of a strange request coming from me because growing up we usually ate traditional Chinese meals once or twice a week and even then I would say "Oh mom! Can't we have spaghetti?" I never really liked rice growing up with the exception of Congee (savory rice porridge) but its funny how your tastes change as you grow older, I find that all the things I used to dislike, I now love!

This meal consisted of:
-Gai Gok Fan (She made two versions, one with brown rice for my brother and me (my Dad won't touch it!). I ended up still liking the white rice version better.
-Corn Chicken Soup with Egg Ribbons and Green Onion
-Pea Shoots with Garlic
-Dace, a Salty Fish with Black Beans
-Crispy Tofu, with Carrot Flowers and Sugar Snap Peas, tossed in a mixture of soy sauce, whisky, sugar, chicken stock and cornstarch

*Side Note* There were two other things I requested when I got home: Her rice crispy squares and her puff wheat squares. I think I probably managed to consume a whole pans worth of them as they are ridiculously addicting! It's a good thing I only go home once in awhile. I know these classics really shouldn't be messed with but I am determined to find alternative healthier versions!

4 comments:

Justin said...

wow, that's an impressive meal. you're so lucky to have a mom like that and be able to look forward to her cooking.

Admin said...

I *love* all the dishes on your list, Laura. And I know just what you mean about craving the food you didn't care for (or thought you didn't carefor) as a kid. Gai Gok Fun sounds particularly delicious. Would you mom be willing to share her recipe?

Laura said...

Thanks Justin! I know I am very lucky =)

Thanks Leela! I told my mom about your guys' lovely comments and she was so happy! She said she would work on getting a recipe for the Gai Gok Fun, as the recipe is in her head and she usually does it all by taste!

avesta said...

I love this post. Reminds me of going home...it's always my mom's chicken and rice with red beans that I miss the most...very simple and growing up we too were always saying "can't we just have spaghetti please!" :) now I would never even think of eating spaghetti over any of her cooking!