Thursday, June 19, 2008

Coconut Almond Granola

I was at Gourmet Warehouse awhile back, looking at their varieties of coconut when I got to talking to one of their knowledgeable staff members. I was asking if they had sweetened coconut and she told me to try the unsweetened variety. She said to toast it in the oven and once you try it you won't ever go back! I guess I never realized coconut has its own subtle sweetness to it, I was always used to using the sweetened variety. I found this recipe on a new fave blog of mine and finally had an excuse to try using my unsweetened coconut flakes. This recipe is great, stores nicely in a tin and its a great addition to my morning yogurt and fruit.

Coconut Almond Granola (from Kath Eats Real Food)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla

1.Preheat oven to 350
2. Warm honey and add in brown sugar, oil and vanilla
3. Toss together with oats, almonds and coconut and spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden

No comments: